Alicia Viera, Interpretive Planner, Detroit Institute of Arts
Melissa Mair, Senior Interpretation Planner, Carnegie Museum of Art
Our mission is to create a community of practice and to build knowledge and skills around the planning and implementation of media and experiences that support visitor’s connections to collections and ideas. The group addresses role of digital interpretation and educational tools in the museum and the use of digital media for connecting with museum visitors across a wide array of platforms both in the museum and online.
To join the SIG
Please fill out the short Google Form and one of the Co-chairs will be in touch shortly.
Potential SIG Topics
This community seeks to support and foster conversation around the following topics:
- Methods for the digital interpretation of the collection
- Facilitating visitor engagement and learning with objects and ideas
- Making collections digitally accessible to the public
- Inclusive accessibility of interpretation in the museum
- Cross-departmental collaboration
- Best practices for digital interpretation
- Organizational structures for interpretive media- who is responsible?
- Evaluation for digital projects and interpretive media
- Leading content creation vs. content development as service
- Education and Interpretation crossover
- Who makes digital content? Pathways to museum interpretation
- Qualifications and skills of being in museum interpretation
- Storytelling and empathy
- Monthly Google hangouts
- Other ways as determined by SIG chairs