The MCN Scholarship Program awards 15 scholarships each year to 15 scholars from the cultural sector so they can attend the MCN annual conference. Applications must be submitted in April.
The MCN Scholarship Program is made possible by the support of our members, sponsors, and conference attendees.
Every scholar receives:
- Complimentary conference registration
- Choice of one complimentary professional workshop
- A $400 (USD) stipend for travel and food
- Complimentary room at the conference hotel for three (3) nights
- An opportunity to meet with MCN board members over lunch during the conference
- Complimentary MCN individual membership for one year
Scholarship Recipients Expectations
Every scholar will be required to:
- Present a five-minute lightning talk on a digital project they have worked on
- Attend a mandatory scholar orientation and rehearsal
- Contribute blogs posts to be published on the MCN blog before and/or after the conference
- Participate in social media discussions (via Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or other platforms) reflecting on and sharing the themes and issues that emerge throughout the conference
To be eligible for an MCN Scholarship, applicants must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Be employed at an institution with no more than 20 full-time staff
- Be a first-time MCN conference attendee
- Be new to the profession with less than 2 years of experience in the field
- Identify as part of a group that is traditionally underrepresented or otherwise marginalized. This includes, but is not limited to, persons of color, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities
- International applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Previous MCN Scholars are not eligible to apply.
Terms and conditions
- Scholars will be responsible for their own travel arrangements and visa applications (if required).
- Scholarships are awarded nominally to each recipient, not their home institution.
- Stipend funds are exclusively issued in the name of the recipient.
- Should MCN be asked to cancel a check already cut, the recipient will be charged a $25 cancellation fee.
Review Process and Award Notification
The MCN Scholarship Committee will review all applications, evaluating applicants based on their professional background, field of expertise, and current position. The Committee will also consider how an applicant’s attendance will enrich the conference for other attendees. Applications from individuals who identify as belonging to groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the museum field will be given additional consideration. The Committee will strive to create a diverse cohort of scholars who represent a wide array of institutions, expertise, backgrounds, and projects.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.