Digital Asset Management (DAM) SIG

Chair

Susan Wamsley, Digital Asset Manager, The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum

I have worked for over ten years in the field of digital asset management setting up DAM systems from analog photography libraries for global companies. In my current role, I work closely with all museum departments to facilitate digital media asset submissions into the museum DAM system. Following the museum’s archival and metadata standards, I ensure the integrity and reliability of the information in the system and provide support to all users. I also research and provide recommendations on best practices for software, asset preservation and digital rights management. I have encountered and solved many implementation, workflow and user adoption issues over the years and am excited to share my knowledge.

Co-Chair

Jessica Herczeg-Konecny, Digital Asset Manager, Detroit Institute of Arts

Jessica Herczeg-Konecny is the Digital Asset Manager at the Detroit Institute of Arts. After undergraduate work in English and American Culture Studies at Washington University in St. Louis, Jessica obtained a master’s degree in Public History from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. She has been working in the museum industry for over ten years in archives, collections management, rights and reproductions, and digital asset management. Jessica implemented the DIA’s first-ever Digital Asset Management System, founded and chairs the Metadata and Digital Assets Standards Committee, supervises rights management, and trains users and content creators for the DAM.

Mission Statement

To support knowledge sharing, strategy, content development, and evaluation of Digital Asset Management strategies for the cultural sector. To develop and document best-practices for DAM and DAMS based on knowledge gained through implementation, use and feedback on working systems.

Communication

The group communicates primary via our Basecamp project discussions– join us! and the MCN-L listserv (with “[DAM SIG:]” in the subject line). Google hangouts are also available for large group discussions.

Interested in joining the DAM SIG?

Fill out Google form here, someone will be in touch shortly.

DAM Resources
Books
Webinars and Online Workshops
DAMS RFP/Selection Process Best Practices

Kew Garden’s RFD process as implemented by Kristina Herz.

She summarized her process in a journal article:

Evaluating DAM vendors through customized scenario demonstrations while keeping your stakeholders engaged. Kristina Herz, Digital Asset Coordinator, Herbarium, Library, Art & Archives Directorate, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

JDMM (2014-15:3,1)

Archival Tools

Great set of open source archival inventory tools on AV Preserve website.