We’re pleased to announce the 2022 call for candidates to be considered for MCN’s Board of Directors. During this critical time in our 55+ year history, MCN is looking to recruit at least four (4) board members to replace those whose 3-year term will be ending in November. This is an opportunity to serve during a pivotal time for our organization as we develop and implement a financially sustainable business model that provides relevant and timely support for our members.
WHY SERVE ON THE MCN BOARD OF DIRECTORS?
Envisioning a world in which all museums are empowered digitally to achieve their missions, MCN’s mission is to grow the digital capacity of museum professionals by connecting them to ideas, information, opportunities, proven practices, and each other.
For many past and current board members, serving on the board of MCN is a way to give back to an organization and a community that have supported them throughout their careers in museums. It’s also an invaluable opportunity for personal and professional development: join a great team of talented museum professionals who shape the strategic direction of the organization and continually find ways to better serve the needs of our community.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
MCN encourages people from a variety of backgrounds, institutions, and experiences to apply, particularly those from historically marginalized communities or types of institutions that are typically underrepresented in the MCN community. MCN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression and identity, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
In addition, to ensure that a diverse range of institutions is represented on the board, each individual institution may be represented by only one member of the board at any given time. Candidates are encouraged to review the current board members’ list below to check the institution that they are currently affiliated with.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
MCN is currently working on its three-year Strategic Plan with an emphasis on financial sustainability and a re-centering of services for new and emerging museum professionals whose work deals with data, digital, and technology.
MCN is looking for community members from diverse backgrounds, and with varied skill sets, perspectives and voices to help MCN execute on its strategic vision and contribute their expertise to grow MCN’s capacity and impact.
While all members of the community with an interest in serving MCN are encouraged to apply, this year we are particularly interested in candidates who can bring specific expertise, or have a background and experience, in one or more of the following key areas:
- Advancement/development and fundraising experience
We’re looking for board candidates who bring enthusiasm, expertise, and a strategic mindset in fundraising and partnerships.
- Financial sustainability and business development
We are seeking candidates with demonstrated financial acumen to support the current Treasurer and ultimately take on that role, with a view to help MCN mitigate risks and increase the organization’s long-term financial and operational sustainability.
- Marketing, communications, and community engagement
In the absence of an annual meeting this year, we are looking for board members with marketing and communications expertise to help us keep the conversation going until we convene again in 2023. Board members with community development or audience development experience are encouraged to apply.
WHAT’S EXPECTED OF MCN BOARD MEMBERS?
MCN’s Board of Directors is both a governance and a working board. This means that in addition to being fiduciary guardians of this 5013(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, our board members roll up their sleeves, put on their thinking caps, and dedicate a good portion of their time working on organizational projects. For most, this means taking an active role on one or more of our board committees and working groups.
As part of a working board, MCN Directors (board members) are expected to dedicate about 20–30 hours per month working on MCN business. This includes attending a couple of monthly conference calls with fellow board members, in addition to other committee meetings and follow-up tasks related to those committee functions.
Pre-pandemic, board members were expected to attend two annual board meetings in person: one in November the week of the annual conference, and another in April. The board will not be meeting in person in 2022, however, an in-person board meeting may be planned for 2023.
In previous years, MCN offered travel stipends for self-funded members (i.e. board members without institutional support for participation) to cover travel-related expenses to attend these two annual in-person board meetings. Should in-person, bi-annual board meetings resume at some point in the future, MCN will look at the possibility of reinstating this specific benefit.
Once appointed, MCN Directors serve a three-year term. For reference, we invite you to familiarize yourself with MCN’s By-Laws.
The MCN Governance Guidelines outline the expectations and responsibilities of board members:
- 20–30 hours of MCN-related work per month, depending upon activities
- Play an active leadership role in delivering on MCN’s overall business in general and on assigned strategic priorities specifically
- Be a vocal advocate and active ambassador of MCN
- Attend and prepare for each board meeting
- Be prepared and willing to lead the board and/or a committee
- Join and participate actively in the activities of at least one committee
- Follow, participate, and contribute to online board discussions in a timely manner
- Make every reasonable effort to bring financial support to the organization annually from external sources, e.g. identify and introduce sponsor prospects and secure sponsorships
- Leverage personal relationships with others (including corporations, professional service firms, vendors, foundations, and individuals) to assist the staff of the organization with implementing fundraising strategies, including adding names of potential sources of support to the organization’s outreach lists
- Actively participate in the development of the annual conference
- Attend the annual conference (board members receive a special discounted registration rate)
- Actively participate in MCN fundraising efforts
- In previous years, attend two (2) annual board meetings in person: one the week of MCN’s annual conference (typically in November), and another, generally in the spring, the week of the MW conference wherever that location may be. MCN may cover related travel expenses for board members who typically “self-fund” (i.e. out-of-pocket)
- Directors cannot be compensated and MCN does not pay Directors for travel or other related expenses (expenses to attend board retreats may, however, be fully covered).
WHAT’S THE NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT PROCESS?
To be considered by the 2022 Nominating Committee, please fill out and submit the application form. If you believe someone you know would be a qualified candidate, please encourage them to apply. Applications are due October 21, 2022, at 11:59pm PT. We will let you know if we require additional information about your application.
The 2022 Nominating Committee will review all applications and propose a slate of candidates to the oBard of Directors for discussion, followed by a vote on the individual appointment of each proposed candidate for Director. Candidates should be notified by the end of October. The announcement of newly appointed Directors will be posted on our website and shared with the MCN community.
WHAT IF I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
If you have any additional questions, please contact [email protected].
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply or hope that you will refer someone you think would be a qualified candidate.
Thank you for being a part of MCN.
MCN 2022 Nominating Committee
Yvonne Lee, President
David Newberry, VP-President Elect
Andy Cummins, Director
Jessica Warchall, Director