Founded in 1967, MCN (Museum Computer Network) has been serving the cultural heritage community for over 40 years. MCN is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation incorporated in the State of New York. MCN members represent a wide range of information professionals from hundreds of cultural sector institutions in the United States and around the world.
MCN is a welcoming and candid community of professionals passionate about empowering museums to address challenges and embrace opportunities within the evolving digital landscape.
MCN’s core purpose is to foster innovation and excellence by supporting professionals who seek to transform the way their cultural organizations reach, engage and educate their audiences using digital technologies. We do this by building a community that attracts, nurtures, inspires and sustains exceptional professionals.
MCN is managed by an Executive Director and governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
MCN is a members-based organization for those who believe that digital technologies are transforming the way cultural organizations reach, engage and educate audiences. Through diverse programs, including a hands-on conference, MCN advances our members in their roles as leaders and agents of change for the cultural sector.
The following regular programs are produced and sponsored by MCN:
- MCN Conference – Our primary annual activity, the conference attracts hundreds of attendees from around the cultural heritage sector to explore the latest advances in museum technology. The conference offers workshops, panel presentations, and vendor demonstrations.
- Ignite MCN – timed with our annual conference, this event features inspiring, thought-provoking presentations from leaders in the field.
- MCN Pro Professional Development – Online Workshops and Free Google Hangouts
- Special Interest Groups (SIGs) – MCN members can join SIGs organized around specific topics of interest. Topics range from Intellectual Property to Digital Video Production to Social Media. There are also regional SIGs.
- MCN-L Listserv – MCN maintains an online discussion list, MCN-L, where members and non-members may post inquiries and announcements.
The MCN Board of Directors is currently in the process of defining a fresh strategic direction. This new website reflects MCN’s new brand and visual identity and is one of many steps in implementing this new direction. A variety of community, branding, membership, and strategic initiatives are informing this process.
Do I have to be a member of MCN to interact with the community?
No. Many of the resources provided by MCN are free to anyone interested in advancing digital within the cultural sector. Anyone may join the listserv, utilize the website and social media resources, present at or attend the annual conference, and so on. Members provide crucial support to the organization and receive additional benefits.
Who is eligible to join MCN?
Membership is open to individuals, institutions, and corporations with an interest in advancing digital transformation in the cultural sector.
What special areas of expertise do MCN members have?
Members have in-depth knowledge of the diverse and emerging areas of digital technology in the cultural sector.