We’re pleased to announce the 2020 call for candidates to be considered for MCN’s Board of Directors. MCN is looking to recruit four (4) board members to replace those whose 3-year term will be ending in November.
WHY SERVE ON THE MCN BOARD OF DIRECTORS?
Envisioning a world in which all museums are empowered digitally to achieve their missions, MCN’s mission is to grow the digital capacity of museum professionals by connecting them to ideas, information, opportunities, proven practices, and each other.
For many past and current board members, serving on the board of MCN is a way to give back to an organization and a community that have supported them throughout their careers in museums. It’s also an invaluable opportunity for personal and professional development: join a great team of talented museum professionals who, together with MCN’s Executive Director and staff, shape the strategic direction of the organization and continually find ways to better serve the needs of our community.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR?
MCN encourages people from diverse backgrounds, institutions, and experiences to apply. MCN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression and identity, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
In addition, to ensure that a diverse range of institutions are represented on the board, each individual institution may be represented by only one member of the board at any given time. Candidates are encouraged to review the current board members’ list below to check the institution that they are currently affiliated with.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR?
MCN is currently in year two of its three-year Strategic Plan (2019-2021) called “Achieving impact through inclusion, innovation, and community building”.
MCN is looking for community members from diverse backgrounds, and with varied skill sets, perspectives and voices to help MCN execute on its strategic vision and contribute their expertise to grow MCN’s capacity and impact.
While all members of the community with an interest in serving MCN are welcome to apply, this year we are particularly interested in candidates who can bring specific expertise, or have a background and experience, in one or more of the following key areas:
- Digital/IT strategy and systems infrastructure
Over the next two years MCN is committed to transforming our online tools to create a better user experience, and revamping our backend infrastructure to streamline organizational processes. We’re looking for someone who has experience designing or integrating backend infrastructures or architecture, or with a strong background in systems administration. If any of these sound like your skillset, consider applying.
- Fundraising Strategy (grant opportunities)
MCN recognizes that it must diversify its revenue streams as well as leverage the organization’s non-profit status to support its expansion in various programmatic areas. We are seeking board members who have expertise in and a successful track record in securing grant funding or fundraising for program development, and can help us select funders and communicate our vision to them.
- Community Development
This refers to the Strategic Plan’s top priority: “Mobilize members of the MCN community.” Specifically, we’re looking for board members with prior community development or audience development experience (it could be membership, local or online communities, volunteers, interns, etc.). Experience building programs or teams that empower community members to act with more autonomy to address their needs is a plus. If you’ve designed and led volunteer programs that are anchored within the community, or helped existing programs successfully expand their capacity we’d like to hear from you.
- Strategy design, strategic planning, Big picture thinking
We’re looking for board candidates who bring some degree of expertise in strategic planning, strategy design, and big picture thinking. Additionally, skills or expertise in business development, strategic partnerships, securing sponsorships, and fundraising are all equally desirable.
WHAT’S EXPECTED OF MCN BOARD MEMBERS?
MCN’s Board of Directors is both a governance and a working board. This means that in addition to being fiduciary guardians of this 503(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, our board members roll up their sleeves, put on their thinking caps, and dedicate a good portion of their time working on organizational projects. For most, this means taking an active role on one or more of our board committees.
As a working board, MCN Directors are expected to dedicate about 8-12 hours per month working on MCN business. This includes attending a monthly conference call with fellow board members, in addition to other committee meetings, and follow-up tasks related to those committee functions.
MCN board members are expected to attend two (2) annual board meetings in person: one the week of MCN’s annual conference (typically in November), and another, generally in the spring, the week of the MW conference wherever that location may be.
Note: Effective in 2020, MCN shall offer compensation to cover travel related expenses to attend these two annual in-person board meetings to board members who “self-fund” (In other words, should their organization’s policy fail to cover such expenses, MCN will do so). MCN will also fully cover expenses related to any necessary board retreat. Such retreats, for instance a strategic planning retreat that occurs every three years, are in addition to the annual in-person board meetings.
Once appointed, MCN Directors serve a three-year term. For reference, we invite you to familiarize yourself with MCN’s By-Laws.
The MCN Governance Guidelines outline the expectations and responsibilities of board members:
- 10-15 hours of MCN-related work per month, depending upon activities
- Play an active leadership role in delivering on MCN’s overall business in general and on assigned strategic priorities specifically
- Attend and prepare for each board meeting
- Be prepared and willing to lead the board and/or a committee
- Join and participate actively in the activities of at least one committee
- Follow, participate, and contribute to online board discussions in a timely manner
- Make every reasonable effort to bring financial support to the organization annually from external sources, e.g. identify and introduce sponsor prospects and secure sponsorships
- Leverage personal relationships with others (including corporations, professional service firms, vendors, foundations, and individuals) to assist the staff of the organization with implementing fundraising strategies, including adding names of potential sources of support to the organization’s mailing list
- Actively participate in the development of the annual conference
- Attend the annual conference (board members receive a special discounted registration rate)
- Actively participate in MCN fundraising efforts
- Attend two (2) annual board meetings in person: one the week of MCN’s annual conference (typically in November), and another, generally in the spring, the week of the MW conference wherever that location may be. MCN will cover related travel expenses for board members who typically “self-fund” (i.e. out-of-pocket)
- Directors cannot be compensated and MCN does not pay Directors for travel or other related expenses (expenses to attend board retreats are however fully covered).
WHAT’S THE NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT PROCESS?
To be considered by the 2020 Nominating Committee, please click on the button below to start your application. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply or hope that you will refer someone you think would be a qualified candidate. Thank you for being a part of MCN.
The call for Board members is now closed.
The 2020 Nominating Committee will review all applications and propose a slate of candidates to the board of Directors for discussion, followed by a vote on the individual appointment of each proposed candidate for Director. Candidates should be notified by late August or early September, 2020. The announcement of newly appointed Directors will be posted on our website and shared with the MCN community on MCN-L.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Eric Longo, MCN’s Executive Director at email@example.com.
MCN 2020 Nominating Committee
- Matt Tarr, President
- Mitch Sava, VP-President Elect
- Samantha Diamond, Treasurer
- David Nuñez, Director
- Eric Longo, Executive Director