We’re pleased to announce the 2021 call for candidates to be considered for MCN’s Board of Directors. MCN is looking to recruit at least four (4) board members to replace those whose 3-year term will be ending in November.
WHY SERVE ON THE MCN BOARD OF DIRECTORS?
Envisioning a world in which all museums are empowered digitally to achieve their missions, MCN’s mission is to grow the digital capacity of museum professionals by connecting them to ideas, information, opportunities, proven practices, and each other.
For many past and current board members, serving on the board of MCN is a way to give back to an organization and a community that have supported them throughout their careers in museums. It’s also an invaluable opportunity for personal and professional development: join a great team of talented museum professionals who, together with MCN’s Executive Director and staff, shape the strategic direction of the organization and continually find ways to better serve the needs of our community.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
MCN encourages people from a variety of backgrounds, institutions, and experiences to apply, particularly those from historically marginalized communities or types of institutions that are typically underrepresented in the MCN community. MCN does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression and identity, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
In addition, to ensure that a diverse range of institutions are represented on the board, each individual institution may be represented by only one member of the board at any given time. Candidates are encouraged to review the current board members’ list below to check the institution that they are currently affiliated with.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
MCN is currently in its last year of its three-year Strategic Plan (2019-2021) called “Achieving impact through inclusion, innovation, and community building”.
MCN is looking for community members from diverse backgrounds, and with varied skill sets, perspectives and voices to help MCN execute on its strategic vision and contribute their expertise to grow MCN’s capacity and impact.
While all members of the community with an interest in serving MCN are encouraged to apply, this year we are particularly interested in candidates who can bring specific expertise, or have a background and experience, in one or more of the following key areas:
- Financial sustainability and business development
MCN must diversify its revenue streams as well as leverage the organization’s non-profit status to support its expansion in various programmatic areas. We are seeking candidates with demonstrated financial acumen to support the current Treasurer and ultimately take on that role, with a view to help MCN mitigate risks and increase the organization’s long-term financial and operational sustainability. If you have expertise running programs or organizations that resulted in demonstrated sustainable outcomes, we want to hear from you. Skills or expertise in business development, strategic partnerships, securing sponsorships and fundraising are equally desirable.
- Strategy design, strategic planning, and big picture thinking
We’re looking for board candidates who bring enthusiasm and expertise in strategic planning, strategy design, and big picture thinking.
- Marketing, communications, and community engagement
Having just launched the MCN Member Portal and migrated our SIG Forums on this new platform, we’re looking for board members with marketing and communication strategy expertise to help us design and implement new messaging and communication practices. Board members with community development or audience development experience are also encouraged to apply.
WHAT’S EXPECTED OF MCN BOARD MEMBERS?
MCN’s Board of Directors is both a governance and a working board. This means that in addition to being fiduciary guardians of this 503(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, our board members roll up their sleeves, put on their thinking caps, and dedicate a good portion of their time working on organizational projects. For most, this means taking an active role on one or more of our board committees.
As part of a working board, MCN Directors (board members) are expected to dedicate about 10-15 hours per month working on MCN business. This includes attending a couple of monthly conference calls with fellow board members, in addition to other committee meetings and follow-up tasks related to those committee functions.
Pre-pandemic, board members were expected to attend two annual board meetings in person: one in November the week of the annual conference, and another in April. The board will not be meeting in person in 2021, however, an in-person board strategic planning retreat is currently planned for mid-2022.
In previous years, MCN offered travel stipends for self-funded members (i.e. board members without institutional support for participation) to cover travel related expenses to attend these two annual in-person board meetings. Should in-person bi-annual board meeting resume at some point in the future, MCN will look at the possibility of reinstating this specific benefit. Should the 2022 strategic planning retreat be confirmed, MCN will fully cover travel and room and board expenses.
Once appointed, MCN Directors serve a three-year term. For reference, we invite you to familiarize yourself with MCN’s By-Laws.
The MCN Governance Guidelines outline the expectations and responsibilities of board members:
- 10-15 hours of MCN-related work per month, depending upon activities
- Play an active leadership role in delivering on MCN’s overall business in general and on assigned strategic priorities specifically
- Be a vocal advocate and active ambassador of MCN
- Attend and prepare for each board meeting
- Be prepared and willing to lead the board and/or a committee
- Join and participate actively in the activities of at least one committee
- Follow, participate, and contribute to online board discussions in a timely manner
- Make every reasonable effort to bring financial support to the organization annually from external sources, e.g. identify and introduce sponsor prospects and secure sponsorships
- Leverage personal relationships with others (including corporations, professional service firms, vendors, foundations, and individuals) to assist the staff of the organization with implementing fundraising strategies, including adding names of potential sources of support to the organization’s mailing list
- Actively participate in the development of the annual conference
- Attend the annual conference (board members receive a special discounted registration rate)
- Actively participate in MCN fundraising efforts
- In previous years, Attend two (2) annual board meetings in person: one the week of MCN’s annual conference (typically in November), and another, generally in the spring, the week of the MW conference wherever that location may be. MCN will cover related travel expenses for board members who typically “self-fund” (i.e. out-of-pocket)
- Directors cannot be compensated and MCN does not pay Directors for travel or other related expenses (expenses to attend board retreats are however fully covered).
WHAT’S THE NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT PROCESS?
To be considered by the 2021 Nominating Committee, please fill out and submit the application form. If you believe someone you know would be a qualified candidate, please encourage them to apply. Applications are due Sunday August 1, 2021 at 11:59pm PT. We will let you know if we require additional information about your application.
Current board members will make themselves available mid July for an AMA session on Slack.
The 2021 Nominating Committee will review all applications and propose a slate of candidates to the board of Directors for discussion, followed by a vote on the individual appointment of each proposed candidate for Director. Candidates should be notified by late August or early September, 2021. The announcement of newly appointed Directors will be posted on our website and shared with the MCN community on the MCN Forum.
If you have any additional questions, please contact Eric Longo, MCN’s Executive Director at [email protected].
MCN 2021 Nominating Committee
- Mitch Sava, President
- Yvonne Lee, VP-President Elect
- Alexis Light, Director
- nikhil trivedi, Director
- Eric Longo, Executive Director